Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 1 min
I have been looking for a vegetable sauce for several different dishes and I found this in Southern Living, February 2006 have made a few changes but it is perfect as is. This makes a wonderful vegetarian meal!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) packagefrozen cheese-stuffed manicotti (in frozen state, do not thaw)
- 1⁄2 cup robust red wine
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Saute minced garlic in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat 1 minute.
- Stir in eggplant and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates.
- Stir in salt, Italian seasoning and pepper; add diced tomatoes and wine, and remove mixture from heat.
- Spoon half the mixture in bottom of a highly greased 13x9-inch basking dish.
- Layer evenly with stuffed frozen manicotti, grated Parmesan cheese, and half the mozzarella cheese; top with remaining half of vegetable mixture.
- Bake uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining half of mozzarella cheese, and bake 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a green salad with a vinaigrette dressing, a warm Italian or French bread and a nice robust red wine.