Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The original recipe calls for Canadian bacon, so I suggest substituting fake bacon, tofu or some other meat sub. You could also just leave the meat out entirely and it would still be quite delicious.
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lb fresh lo mein noodles or 1 lb spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium red pepper, slivered
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 ounces vegetarian bacon
- In a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together broth and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, cook noodles according to package directions. When noodles are al dente, drain water.
- Return to saucepan and toss with oyster sauce mixture.
- In a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat, cook shredded ginger and red onion in hot oil about 30 seconds, or until onion just begins to wilt and become slightly translucent.
- Add red pepper, carrots and snow peas, and stir-fry 2 minutes, or until vegetables are almost cooked.
- Add fake bacon and vegetable broth-cornstarch mixture.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until sauce is slightly thickened, about a minute.
- Add noodles and toss well to combine.
We loved this ... I made enough for just the 2 of us, but this is one of those meals where you really wish there were leftovers!!! Lacking carrots, I though about subbing zucchini, but decided just to go with the onions, red pepper and snowpeas, perfect as was. I did use a tiny bit of bacon, and added some shrimp, just a few, more for DH, who fancied them, the dish is great with or without! So simple but really good, definitely a keeper, thank you BusyBee!!! Made for PAC Fall 2012