Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful recipe for Lo Mein, it's a family favorite and one I have made so many times in the past ---you could firstly cook chicken breast strips or shrimp to use in this dish if desired, adjust the chili flakes to desired heat level ;-)
- 8 ounces cooked spaghetti (cooked only until al dente)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (can use more to taste)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses or 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and black pepper
- chopped cashews (optional) or peanuts (optional)
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet.
- In a small cup whisk together the chicken broth with cornstarch until combined; set aside.
- Add in the chili flakes and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add in the mushrooms, carrots, bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger; stir-fry until tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add in bean sprouts and green onion; cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken broth/cornstarch mixture along with the hoisin sauce, molasses, soy sauce and curry powder; cook, stirring until thickened and heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the cooked spaghetti to the mixture; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with peanuts or cashews if desired.
This is a perfect lo mein recipe. I replaced the mushrooms with broccoli and snow peas because we dont like mushrooms. I doubled the sauce recipe because I was cooking for 5 people. They did not have hoisin sauce at my local supermarket so I made a mixture of ketchup, orange sauce, and teriyaki sauce and it worked great. I cant wait to try it next time with the hoisin sauce. I also added some pre-packaged already cooked grilled chicken and cooked it with the sauce for the last couple minutes. Thanks so much kittencal for another wonderful recipe!
i stuck almost completely with this recipe and everyone loved it! thank you!
This made a nice dinner! I used vegetable broth, whole wheat spaghetti, and a little less hoisin sauce. I also replaced the mung sprouts with lentil sprouts. Thanks Kitten!