Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is so good on a cool night.
Top Review by Sudie
I threw this in the crockpot, as I was very busy and didn't want to think about dinner. I had no celery (someone ate it up on me!) and no zucchini, so I left those out. I also substituted vegetable broth for the tomato juice. It was still wonderful! The seasoning was heavenly, it was filling, and after all the holiday meals this week, it felt great to have something so satisfying, yet so healthy! Good job!
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (48 ounce) can tomato juice
- 4 cups water
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, mix together the first 15 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until rice and lentils are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add more water or tomato juice if necessary.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and continue cooking until vegetables are tender, usually 1 hour.