Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is so good on a cool night.
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (48 ounce) can tomato juice
- 4 cups water
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- In a large Dutch oven, mix together the first 15 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until rice and lentils are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add more water or tomato juice if necessary.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and continue cooking until vegetables are tender, usually 1 hour.
I threw this in the crockpot, as I was very busy and didn't want to think about dinner. I had no celery (someone ate it up on me!) and no zucchini, so I left those out. I also substituted vegetable broth for the tomato juice. It was still wonderful! The seasoning was heavenly, it was filling, and after all the holiday meals this week, it felt great to have something so satisfying, yet so healthy! Good job!
Lentils are one of my favorite, for lack of a better word,legume. This stew was so delicious. My husband and I had 2 big bowls full. Very filling and we thought the seasonings were spot on. Our tummys were full and we were so happy. Thanks for sharing this.
This recipe was delicious!!!!!! I did not go exactly by the recipe though. Instead of using tomato sauce, I used spaghetti sauce. I did not have canned tomatoes, so I substituted and used a can of okra and tomatoes and then added one big fresh tomato. I also added some green bell pepper I had on hand. I did not have onions so I added scallions and minced onion. I did not have parsley, oregano, basil, thyme or bay leaf. So instead I added 2 teaspoons of a medley (that had oregano, thyme, basil, bay, rosemary, parsley, etc.) that I had on hand. I added more garlic than the recipe called for (I did not have fresh garlic so I used minced garlic). I did not have lemon, so instead I poured in some grapefruit juice. I also added a can of drained corn and a can of spinach (I did not drain the spinach). Instead of brown rice I used white rice. I also added a yellow squash. I did not add any potatoes because I did not have any on hand. It seemed like it was not seasoned enough, but like I said I did not have all the seasonings on hand that this recipe called for, so that could have been why. But other than that I loved it. Even my two kids loved it. They ate and ate and ate. My kids are 3 (almost 4 years old) and 2 years old. I am going to have to make this again. There was enough left for about two more meals.