Recipe by Barb Witherspoon
A very hearty, nutritious, vegetarian soup. Wonderful flavor, too. It's from "Simply Colorado Too!" a cookbook published by the Colorado Dietetic Assn. that features "nutritious recipes for busy people." It's a great cookbook. www.eatrightcolorado.org Nutrients per serving: Calories 224; Protein 12 gm; Carbs 44 gm; Fat 2 gm; (saturated fat <1 gm) Cholesterol 0 gm; Fiber 11 gm; Sodium 1268 gm. 4 Weight Watchers points
- 3⁄4 cup dried lentils
- 4 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled potato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green beans
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and rinse the lentils.
- Combine the lentils, 4 cans broth, mushrooms, onion, celery, potato, carrots, green beans, red pepper, zucchini, barley, cumin, salt and pepper in a stockpot and mix well.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes.
- Simmer for 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into soup bowls.