Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Highlights fresh summer herbs and vegetables
- 1 eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 cup fresh basil, shredded
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh shiitake mushroom
- 10 ounces Baby Spinach
- 12 dry lasagna noodles
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Prep vegetables: in a big bowl, combine the eggplant, zucchini, peppers, onions, garlic, rosemary, ½ cup basil, salt, pepper, and ½ cup olive oil; marinate for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
- Make the sauce: scald milk in a medium saucepan (look for small bubbles forming around the edge) over low heat for about 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, but keep warm.
- In another medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until completely melted.
- Whisk in the flour and let the mixture foam and cook, whisking occasionally, for 3 minutes or until it is a light tan color (you will notice a nutty aroma to the mixture).
- Slow whisk in the hot milk and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- If the milk has cooled, add it gradually in small portions, whisking between each addition to prevent lumps.
- If the sauce isn’t thickening, increase the heat slightly and whisk constantly so as not to burn the sauce.
- Season sauce with salt to taste and remove from the heat; cool before using in the lasagna dish.
- Make the lasagna: preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove the vegetables from the marinade to a deep roasting pan; roast in the oven until tender and browned, about 30 minutes, stirring twice during roasting time.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil; add in the mushrooms and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes; add in the baby spinach, sauteing until wilted and tender; set aside.
- In a big pot of boiling, salted water, cook the lasagna noodles until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water; dry on a towel.
- Assemble: pour 1 cup of Bechamel sauce over the bottom of an oiled 13 x 9 inch baking dish and arrange ¼ of the roasted vegetable mixture on top.
- Cover with pasta, then top with ¼ more of vegetable mixture, add some mushrooms, some diced tomatoes, ½ cup Becamel sauce, some of the remaining basil, and ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the procedure two times, ending with Parmesan cheese and ½ cup Bechamel sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes until the lasagna is bubbling and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting to serve.