Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced freesh mushrooms or 2 cups shiitake mushrooms (soak in covered dish for 30 min)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped with their juices
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 lb firm tofu, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles (about 10 noodles)
- Sauce: Braise the onion and carrot in the water or wine until soft.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are brown or soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomatoe sauce and seasonings and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Tofu Mixture: Combine tofu, parsley, and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray casserole dish with Pam.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of sauce over the bottom of casserole dish (9"X12").
- Cover with a layer of uncooked noodles, then with half of tofu mixture and half the spinach.
- Spread half the remaining sauce over this.
- Now make layers with the remaining noodles, tofu mixture, spinach and sauce.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour or until the noodles are tender.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.