Recipe by Impera_Magna
Neomonde is a popular Middle Eastern restaurant in Raleigh NC where the owners (three brothers) make everything from scratch on site. A favorite of mine when I'm in town, I was pleased when this recipe appeared in the the local paper (News and Observer).
Top Review by Julia L.
Neomonde is one of my favorite light, healthy, and affordable restaurants in Raleigh. My friend and colleague said, "I can't believe you've never tried their lasagna! You MUST try it and I'll send you the recipe." The cheeses are a surprise and work so well together with the roasted veggies and olives. Every time I've made it for company, they've asked for the recipe too. Also makes for the best leftovers. YUM!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄4 cup sliced kalamata olive
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced (not peeled)
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb crumbed feta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct heat grilling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a jelly roll pan (or a cookie sheet or other large, shallow pan) and a 9x12" baking dish.
- SAUCE: Heat oil in a lg heavy-bottomed saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, garic, mushroom, and jalapeno; saute about 3 minutes until onions are soft but not browned.
- Add tomatoes, olives, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, paprika and tomato sauce; bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- VEGETABLES: Sprinkle oiled jelly roll pan w/ black pepper; lay sliced potatoes over the oil pan in a single layer. (If necessary, work in batches or use a second pan.) Bake for 10 minutes, then set aside.
- Grill eggplant, zucchini, squash until well-marked w/ char lines on both sides, about 2 mins per side.
- ASSEMBLY: Layer the potatoes, zucchini, and yellow squash in the bottom of the oiled baking dish.
- Pour sauce evenly over the vegetables and sprinkle with feta over the sauce.
- Lay sliced eggplant over the sauce and feta layers.
- Sprinkle with shredded Swiss, provolone, and mozzarella cheeses over top.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.