Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious, easy and filling lasagna which is actually good for you too. A perfect comfort food and easy to freeze and save for a time when you can't be bothered cooking. I found this recipe on the internet and modified it to make it tastier and as low fat as possible.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (415 g) can Italian-style tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (140 g) carton tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or another seasoning or herb of choice I use basil and LOTS of garlic)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated low fat mozzarella
- 8 sheets lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese, extra
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Tomato Sauce: Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Sauté vegetables until tender.
- Stir through tomatoes, tomato paste, water and salt (or other seasonings) and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- White Sauce: Place flour in a saucepan or bowl.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Place over medium heat and stir (or microwave on High 100% for 7 minutes, stirring after every minute) until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir salt and cheese through sauce.
- To assemble, place a layer of lasagne sheets over the base of a lightly greased 20cm x 33cm ovenproof dish.
- Spread with half of the tomato mixture, then half of the white sauce mixture.
- Repeat lasagne, tomato and white sauce layers ending with white sauce.
- Sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake in moderate oven for 40 minutes.
This was very much a strong 4 stars for us. Make sure you start cooking the noodles first. The whole process took me about 2 hours start to finish because I forgot to cook the noodles first, the instructions didn't do the best job of giving you notice. Make sure you have the veggies all cut up before you start sauteing, saves time in the end. Takes longer to make the cheese sauce than I thought it would, just be aware. I added about 1+ c. of cheese on top. Make sure you give the recipe time to set up after you take it out of the oven, otherwise it's really juicy. Mine was ready in 35 minutes at 350 degrees. I also didn't have any tomato paste so I took out the water and just used about 1 1/4 c. of tomato sauce instead.
This is a great recipe! The only thing I changed was using 1.5% milk because the store was out of skim milk. It was very tasty and filling and quite healthy. I will make this again, though it was a lot more of than what I was expecting given the calorie count, even after factoring in things that Recipezaar didn't recognise. Though I don't mind having these leftovers! Made for PAC Autumn '09.
Very delicious, fresh tasting and filling....I didn't use the eggplant but otherwise followed the recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!!