Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is such a tasty and versatile vegetable dish! You can vary the type of peppers if they are out of season & expensive, you can add chopped spinach or sliced mushrooms. You can eliminate the wine & increase the amount of milk or broth if you choose.I use whole wheat lasagna to make it even healthier!
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large red pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded & chopped (or 1 28 oz can, very well drained)
- 78.07 ml butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 177.44 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 226.79 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- lasagna noodle
- Pasta: Cook lasagna noodles, according to package directions, until el dente; drain & dry well on a clean tea towel or paper towels and set aside.
- Veggies: Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, saute onions& peppers until limp (about 10 minutes); stir in thyme, remove from heat& set aside.
- Bechamel Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan & stir in flour; Gradually whisk in milk, broth, wine, salt& pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth & thickened; remove from heat, add nutmeg & 1/2 cup of the grated Parmesan, stir & set aside.
- Assembly: Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish& assemble in this order: layer of noodles;layer 1/2 of the chopped tomatoes; layer of noodles;layer 1/2 of the pepper mixture; layer 1/2 of the Mozzarella; layer of noodles; layer rest of the diced tomatoes; layer of noodles; the rest of the pepper mixture; the rest of the mozzarella.
- Spread the Bechamel sauce over the top& sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375F for 45 minutes; tent with foil & let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
very good. no complaints.
I just made this recipe for a group of vegetarian friends. I put it in a 10 inch round dish. It turned out thick, beautiful and delicious. I will definitely save this one to use again. (I increased the thyme.)
This is VERY similar to a wonderful recipe I have made for years (found it in an LCBO magazine easily 10 years ago!!!!). BUT yours has subtle additions which have "upped" the taste for us. This will be the way I make it from now on...thanks CountryLady!!!