1/1 Photo of Vegetable Lasagna
1 hr 15 mins
This is such a tasty and versatile vegetable dish! You can vary the type of peppers if they are out of season & expensive, you can add chopped spinach or sliced mushrooms. You can eliminate the wine & increase the amount of milk or broth if you choose.I use whole wheat lasagna to make it even healthier!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded & chopped (or 1 28 oz can, very well drained)
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- lasagna noodle
- 1Pasta: Cook lasagna noodles, according to package directions, until el dente; drain & dry well on a clean tea towel or paper towels and set aside.
- 2Veggies: Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, saute onions& peppers until limp (about 10 minutes); stir in thyme, remove from heat& set aside.
- 3Bechamel Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan & stir in flour; Gradually whisk in milk, broth, wine, salt& pepper.
- 4Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth & thickened; remove from heat, add nutmeg & 1/2 cup of the grated Parmesan, stir & set aside.
- 5Assembly: Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish& assemble in this order: layer of noodles;layer 1/2 of the chopped tomatoes; layer of noodles;layer 1/2 of the pepper mixture; layer 1/2 of the Mozzarella; layer of noodles; layer rest of the diced tomatoes; layer of noodles; the rest of the pepper mixture; the rest of the mozzarella.
- 6Spread the Bechamel sauce over the top& sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- 7Bake, uncovered, at 375F for 45 minutes; tent with foil & let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.7
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.6 mg
- Sodium 804.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 17.9 g