Recipe by CountryLady
This is such a tasty and versatile vegetable dish! You can vary the type of peppers if they are out of season & expensive, you can add chopped spinach or sliced mushrooms. You can eliminate the wine & increase the amount of milk or broth if you choose.I use whole wheat lasagna to make it even healthier!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large orange bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1 x 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded & chopped (or 1 28 oz can, very well drained)
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- lasagna noodle
Directions See How It's Made
- Pasta: Cook lasagna noodles, according to package directions, until el dente; drain & dry well on a clean tea towel or paper towels and set aside.
- Veggies: Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, saute onions& peppers until limp (about 10 minutes); stir in thyme, remove from heat& set aside.
- Bechamel Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan & stir in flour; Gradually whisk in milk, broth, wine, salt& pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth & thickened; remove from heat, add nutmeg & 1/2 cup of the grated Parmesan, stir & set aside.
- Assembly: Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking dish& assemble in this order: layer of noodles;layer 1/2 of the chopped tomatoes; layer of noodles;layer 1/2 of the pepper mixture; layer 1/2 of the Mozzarella; layer of noodles; layer rest of the diced tomatoes; layer of noodles; the rest of the pepper mixture; the rest of the mozzarella.
- Spread the Bechamel sauce over the top& sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375F for 45 minutes; tent with foil & let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.