Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
You will not even miss the meat. Grated carrots give this a great texture.
- 1 quart canned tomato
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 5 carrots, grated
- 5 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 2 lbs cottage cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- Boil noodles just until tender.
- Set aside.
- Saute vegetables in oil til tender.
- Add tomatoes, sauce, spices.
- Simmer 10 to 15 Minutes.
- Spoon half of sauce into lasagna baking pan, cover with noodles.
- Spoon on a layer of 1/3 cottage cheese, sprinkle some mozzarella on top.
- Add remaining tomato mixture, cover with noodles.
- Layer cottage cheese and mozzarella.
- Layer remaining Noodles and cheeses.
- Top with Parmesan and bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.
This was a lovely light lasagne and very easy to prepare. I took note of Missy Wombat's comments and tried to cut back on the tomato sauce content, but the end result was still quite runny - maybe I used too much cottage cheese? Anyway, the flavours were great and it was great to find a lasagne recipe that didn't involve making a bechamel sauce. Thanks for sharing this one.
Very nice lasagna that all the family greatly enjoyed particularly my toddler. It is however very moist and next time I would replace tomato puree with tomato puree. This also needs a large dish - my usual pyrex casserole dish was too small.