Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
from the "dancing gourmet cookbook"
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 medium onions
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle (ones that don't need to be precooked)
- 1⁄4 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- ground nutmeg
- White Sauce.
- 1. melt butter over medium heat in medium saucepan.
- 2. add flour one tbsp at a time, whisking after each addition.
- 3. add milk and whisk, reduce to a simmer for 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- 4. add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- 5. remove from heat until ready to use.
- 1. arrange eggplant on baking tray. Spray with olive oil and bake 30 min at 350 (turn over halfway through).
- 2. Meanwhile in large skillet, saute onions in 1 tsp olive oil until soft. add mushrooms, white wine, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Stir until liquid evaporates.
- 3. add garlic and spinach and cook for 5 min, may need to add 1/2 spinach at a time to fit into pan.
- 4. add mushrooms, broccoli, and zucchini and saute until spinach is fully wilted.
- 5. mix well with white sauce and 1 tbsp oregano or seasoning and set aside.
- 6. preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 7. in a rectangular baking dish ( 13x10x2) spread evenly 1 cup crushed tomatoes (add italian seasonings) and cover with a single layer lasagna.
- 8. spread half of vegetable mixture over lasagna.
- 9. top with a layer of eggplant and 1/2 the mozzarella and parmesan.
- 10. repeat with another layer of lasagna, vegetable mixture, and eggplant.
- 11. add remained noodles and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 12. cover with tin foil and bake 35 minute.
- 13. allow 10 min to cool before serving.
The flavor is very nice, but the directions need work. I was able to figure it out without any problem, but most people will be confused. You add the oregano, thyme and basil with the onions and mushrooms, but then you add more seasoning later on 2 different times. Also, you add mushrooms in 2 different steps as well. The ingredients are a 28 oz can, but you only use 1 cup during the layering of the lasagna. And, there are not enough noodles. And the spinach, you say to cook the spinach until wilted. It is frozen cooked spinach.
It is a nice recipe, it really is, it just needs to be cleaned up with the directions and ingredients. If I followed the directions as is it wouldn't of turned out. I hope you get a chance to correct as it is a good recipe.
Made for PAC 2011