Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living. Have adapted this over time for my family's taste.
Top Review by Sunflower
Fantastic!! We had out of town guests who are vegetarians. I served this and all I can say is we ate until we couldn't move. I have to admit I was a little hesitant but this dish was incredible. We will definitely make this again. Thank you so much.
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (I use 16 oz.)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped ripe olives, drained (I omit, my kids don't like olives much)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano (I use 2 t.)
- salt (I use 1/2 t.)
- pepper (I use 1/2 t.)
- 2 cups cottage cheese (I use lowfat)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (I have reduced this to 2 cups to lower the fat some)
- 1 (3 ounce) packagerefrigerated grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Cook mushrooms, carrot, and onion in olive oil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and next 4 ingredients, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Place half of cooked lasagna noodles in a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Layer with half each of cottage cheese, spinach, tomato sauce mixture, Monterey Jack cheese, and Parmesam cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.