Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great alternative to meat lasagna. You can vary the amount of garlic and types of vegetables to suit your own taste.
- 4 lasagna noodles, cooked according to directions
- 1 (7 1/3 ounce) jar mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, individual cloves peeled and seperated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook lasagna according to package directions, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large sauce pan heat the oil.
- Cook whole garlic cloves until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers and onion.
- Cook until tender.
- Add the cooking wine and cook until reduced by 1/2.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil;reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella and eggs.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of a greased lasagna pan.
- Top with 2 lasagna strips, 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/3 Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the layering.
- Top with the remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes at 350F until bubbly.
- Uncover and top with remaining Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 5-10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.