Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
From a vegetarian cookbook- If you like, substitute 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms for the dried mushrooms. Simply cook the fresh mushrooms with the onion, green pepper, and carrots and use water instead of the dried mushroom liquid.
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (9 noodles)
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (1/2 ounce) or 1⁄2 cup dried shiitake mushroom (1/2 ounce)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped broccoli (flowerets and stems)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup snipped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (30 1/2 ounce) jar meatless sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine dried mushrooms and boiling water- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze mushrooms, reserving liquid.
- Remove and discard mushroom stems.
- Coarsely chop mushrooms- Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion, green pepper, carrots, and garlic in hot margarine or butter till tender but not brown.
- Add broccoli and 1/2 cup reserved mushroom liquid.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or till broccoli is just crisp-tender.
- Stir in mushrooms.
- In a medium bowl stir together Ricotta cheese, Mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, eggs, parsley, thyme, marjoram, and pepper.
- In a 3-quart rectangular baking dish evenly spread 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce.
- Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce.
- Layer with half of the cheese mixture, half of the vegetable mixture, and 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce.
- Repeat layers, ending with noodles.
- Spoon remaining spaghetti sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or till heated through- Makes 8 servings.
the recipe is number 1 for taste and ingredients.
the one area I would recommend is to make sure you watch the vegetable content while in the frying pan and make sure the liquid is reduced to almost nothing without burning the lot within the wok or frying pan...
When you start your layers thinly spread the tomato sauce, to insure that the moisture content is there but not to the point that it becomes sloppy...
Other than that it was delicious, and if you prepare before hand its 1hr flat from start to dish...