Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love to make this when I want to sneak a meatless dinner to my family. It's so delicious, they don't miss the absence of meat! The spicy sauce is great with the tofu, peanuts and broccoli.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch slabs
- 1 lb broccoli, ends trimmed and stalks peeled
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions, white part only
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste
- 1 cup scallion top, 1 inch lengths (about 3 scallions)
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced water chestnuts
Sauce mixed together
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine or 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar or 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry roasted peanuts
- Wrap the tofu slabs in paper towels and place a heavy weight, such as a skillet, on top; let stand for 30 minutes to press out the excess water.
- Cut the tofu into slices 1/2-inch thick and 2 1/2-inches long and place them in a bowl.
- Cut away the broccoli florets and separate into bite-size pieces; cut the stalks on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling, add the broccoli and boil for 3 minutes; drain, refresh under cold water and drain again.
- Heat a heavy skillet and add 2 1/2 T of the oil Arrange some of the tofu slices in the pan and sear over high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown Remove with a spatula and drain in a colander Reheat the pan and add 2 more T of oil Continue frying the rest of the slices, removing and draining as they are cooked.
- Reheat the skillet, or a wok, add the remaining T of oil, heat until hot, and add the seasonings, stir-fry briefly, about 15 seconds, then add the scallion greens and water chestnuts, and stir-fry over high heat about 1 1/2- minutes.
- Add the premixed sauce and cook, stirring continuously to prevent lumps, until it thickens.
- Add the broccoli, fried tofu and peanuts.
- Toss lightly to coat and heat through.
- Serve with steamed rice.
I made this for dinner tonight and it was enjoyed. I did make a few substitutions so won't rate the recipe. I didn't have scallions(couldn't make it to the store), so used red onion. For the chili paste I used a tsp. of ketchup and a dash of hot sauce. I didn't have rice wine, so used white wine. I served this over brown rice. Thank you Jude for a good dinner!