Recipe by Sarah Chana
Found this on the RFCJ Archive site, and it looks like a good holiday make-ahead, so I am posting it here. Let me know how you like it.
- 3 large zucchini
- 3 large carrots
- 2 baking potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 eggs, whisked together
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 20 dashes black pepper (20 grinds)
- 5 fluid ounces sunflower oil
- 4 ounces matzo meal
- 2 ounces dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Select an oven-to-table dish measuring about 10" x 8" x 2" or use an oval gratin dish about 11-12".
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Top and tail the zucchini and carrots, peel all the vegetables (except zucchini), then grate on the finest disc of the food processor (or grate by hand) and mix together in a bowl.
- In a very large bowl, whisk the eggs and seasonings until fluffy, then stir.
- in the oil, meal and breadcrumbs followed by the vegetables.
- Mix very thoroughly, then pour into the dish and smooth.
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/4vhours or until a rich golden brown.
- The kugel reheats well either in a moderate oven or in the microwave.