As part of the 2005 RecipeZaar World Tour I've been searching for International recipes to introduce new flavors and ideas to our meal plans. This one is from Diabetic Gourmet via a friend, but it looks quite promising. For those like me following the WW Core plan it's Core plus the points for the matzo meal.
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup matzo meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a non-stick pan with medium heat.
- Lightly spritz with cooking spray and sauté onion, celery, red pepper and carrots for 5 minutes, until golden.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Mix in all the remaining ingredients and pour shallow roasting or lasagna pan prepared with cooking spray. Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes until the kugel is firm set.
- Cut into squares and serve.