Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation... I love Veggie Korma, so a reduced fat / sodium version, with an increased amount of protein sounded like a plan and a half!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup mixed unsalted nuts (cashews, pistachios, almonds)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green beans
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 1 cup potato, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese, crumbled (pressed) or 1 cup paneer cheese (which is 12 percent total fat for 1 ounce)
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat 15 mL (1 tbsp) oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place mixed nuts in the skillet, cook and stir until golden brown, and set aside.
- Stir onion into the skillet, and cook until tender. Mix in garlic paste and ginger paste, and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, turmeric, coriander, and garam masala.
- Pour in water, and mix in raisins, carrots, green bell pepper, green beans, peas, and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Add crumbled pressed cottage cheese with the vegetables. Stir-in milk, bring to a boil, and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with 1 mL (¼ tsp) of salt.
For more authenticity I used coconut oil for the vegetable oil, low fat coconut milk for the milk, cilantro/coriander leaves for freshness, the cayenne replaced with1 dried red chili nice and spicy. ;) I opted for the paneer. Loved the sweetness the raisins gave the dish. Served for lunch with naan.
Made for ZWT #8 Lively Lemon Lovelies