Recipe by Caryn Gale
This is traditionally stuffed inside intestines and then cooked on top of a cholent. Nowadays most roll it up in foil or baking paper. Definate unique taste. See instructions to learn about cholent. I am also posting a cholent recipe.
Top Review by bvspet
Try tam tam crackers instead of flour. Onion or garlic tam tams are best. A stick of margarine replaces oil as well. I prefer using kishke as side dish to chicken or duck. Sew pocket of duck skin or chicken skin. (NO STAPLES PLEASE).Stuff with the vegetable kishke, and heat at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes..
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 large onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Put first four ingredients in food processor and process with steel knife until consistency of thick paste.
- Remove to bowl.
- Add last 4 ingredients and mix well.
- Shape into a log on a large piece of foil or baking paper.
- Roll the foil down to seal.
- Freezes great at this point.
- Ideally placed in the top of a pot of cholent (a special stew that is prepared before the Sabbath and cooks for approx 20 hours and is eaten with lunch).
- This is pulled out and served separately.
- Can also be made in a pie dish and baked at 350 for 45 minutes, but it definately won't have the deep rich color and taste.