Caryn Gale's Note:
This is traditionally stuffed inside intestines and then cooked on top of a cholent. Nowadays most roll it up in foil or baking paper. Definate unique taste. See instructions to learn about cholent. I am also posting a cholent recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put first four ingredients in food processor and process with steel knife until consistency of thick paste.
- 2Remove to bowl.
- 3Add last 4 ingredients and mix well.
- 4Shape into a log on a large piece of foil or baking paper.
- 5Roll the foil down to seal.
- 6Freezes great at this point.
- 7Ideally placed in the top of a pot of cholent (a special stew that is prepared before the Sabbath and cooks for approx 20 hours and is eaten with lunch).
- 8This is pulled out and served separately.
- 9Can also be made in a pie dish and baked at 350 for 45 minutes, but it definately won't have the deep rich color and taste.
Browse Our Top Jewish (Ashkenazi) Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jewish (Ashkenazi) Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Kishke
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.0
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 607.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g