Recipe by kbksmama
From Betty Crocker's Vegetarian Cooking. Suggests to serve with corn muffins.
Top Review by lauralie41
I loved this and it was so quick and easy to make. Used red kidney beans in place of the black eyed peas, beef broth instead of vegetable and a couple pinches of red pepper flakes for the ground red pepper. I didnt have a lot of broth when the jambalaya was done cooking so next time I will add another can of broth. Great vegetarian meal that is inexpensive too. Thank you kbksmama for posting this recipe. Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil 2 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Stir in rice and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is light golden brown.
- Stir in broth, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.