Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe won a prize in the week of June 15-21st'06 in the Thursday magazine's Cook and Win contest. One of my favourite vegetables to order at restaurants is this. Now, thanks to Meenakshi S. Shankar who submitted this to the magazine, I can cook it in my kitchen, save dollars, use the oil of my choice, fresh vegetables, and yet, have a blast! Enjoy :)
- 1 large carrot, cut lengthwise
- 10 -15 French beans, cut lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower
- 2 medium red capsicums, cut lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 -3 green chilies, slit
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, cut in juliennes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 100 g cottage cheese, cut lengthwise
- Steam all the veggies except capsicum(bell pepper) in the microwave.
- Steam the capsicum separately because it requires very little cooking time.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Once they stop, add green chillies and onions.
- Stir-fry until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook on low heat for 60 seconds.
- Add the masala powders and salt. Mix well.
- Cook till the oil separates from the masala.
- Now, fold in the steamed veggies into this masala mixture.
- Cook for 60 seconds, then add the steamed capsicum and cottage cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low heat, for 5 minutes until the masala mixes well into the veggies.
- Add the ginger juliennes and wait for 60 seconds.
- Serve hot with rotis (Indian flatbreads) or rice.
Wonderful recipe! Very versatile: I used the directions to jazz up the only fresh vegetables I had in the house (bell pepper and onion). As my family likes hot dishes and I did not have the green chilies I used about ¼ tsp green curry paste. The dish was wonderful. I can%u2019t wait to try it with the suggested vegetables!
Great recipe. I added brocolli instead of cauliflower, mushrooms, sweet potato and baby corn - changing the number servings slightly. Didnt have fenugreek leaves but still tasted great - only added 2 green chillis and it was still quite hot so unless you love hot food I would stick to 2 green peppers. Thanks for the recipe!