Recipe by Debbwl
Steamed vegetables folded into curried cocnut sauce.
Top Review by magpie diner
I actually timed the making of this dish from the moment I pressed 'go' on the rice cooker. In 35 minutes we were sitting down to eat! This is a great recipe, and as the other reviewers found, even though the list of spices may look long it comes together very easily. I saved some washing up by steaming the cauli & carrot in the steamer basket of the rice cooker. I was leary about steaming the veg separately, it's just not something I normally do - but it works out so nicely you should try it. The flavours in the curry are mild, but you can obviously heat that up as much as you like. For so-so curry fans, this is a nice light version, and very kid friendly. Thanks Debbwl - fantastic! Made during ZWT7.
- 1 head cauliflower floret (4 cups)
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into half rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- steamed rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam vegetables separately until al dente. Set aside.
- Meanwhile heat in a medium pot oil and mustard seeds. When seeds start to pop add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper. Saute till translucent 5 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low add coriander, turmeric, curry powder, salt, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and cook on low for 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and simmer (do not boil) for 2 minutes.
- Fold in steamed vegetables and honey if using. Heat through about 3 to 5 minutes. (do not boil).
- Serve over Rice.