Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Haven't tried this yet. Posted for future use.
Top Review by Deb G
Enjoyed this for a meatless supper. I did sub chicken bouillon cube for vegetable one, and used regular stewed tomatoes that I seasoned with 1 tsp of Essence of Emeril seasoning mix. I did have to add a little more liquid to have enough to cook the rice. DH liked it a lot, but thinks it would be better with more tomatoes. This makes a lot, so we froze some of the leftovers. Thanks for posting.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (bottled)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) package quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Let the oil heat in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in the chopped onion and bell pepper; stir/saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and broth; increase heat to high.
- Add in the bouillon cube; cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover and add Worcestershire sauce, basil, and pepper; stir and recover.
- Add in rice and stir to combine.
- Cover again and decrease heat to medium; cook for about 8 minutes or until the broth is just absorbed.
- Add in the tomatoes and peas; stir to combine.
- Continue to cook covered for 1-2 more minutes or until well heated.