Recipe by AmyZoe
YUMMY! I used fresh garden tomatoes in place of the red pepper and all 8 eggs instead of 4 eggs and 4 egg whites. I love the flavor mixtures of potatoes with the zucchini and ham. This makes a beautiful quiche-like dish. I've never tried broiling to set the eggs until today, but I'm sold. Absolutely gorgeous and delicious. Recipe courtesy of Reader's Digest Down Home Cooking, 1994.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup potato (red-skinned and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup asparagus or 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (slivered) or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- Add the potatoes, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Stir in the asparagus, sweet red pepper, and ham.
- Cook 3 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, cheese, basil, salt, and black pepper.and pour over the vegetables.
- Lower the heat and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or just until the egg mixture is set.
- Wrap the skillet handle with foil.
- Slide the skillet under the broiler for 1 minute or just until the eggs are set on top.
- Serve with warm Italian bread.