Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
Low calorie and filling vegetable soup which makes an easy dinner by itself or with grilled cheese sandwiches. This recipe needs a large (5 quart or larger) slow cooker/crock pot. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt (optional)
- 2 cups okra, sliced (I use frozen)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 -2 dash hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil for 30 seconds. Add onions and celery, cook stirring until soft (5 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaf, cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Transfer to large crock pot insert.
- Stir in rice and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours or until rice is tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a small cup mix together the paprika and lemon juice.
- Add paprika/lemon juice mixture, okra and green pepper, stirring in well.
- Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes or until pepper is tender.
- Add a dash or two of hot pepper sauce if desired.
This recipe is more like a 3.5 star. I love gumbo but this was lacking the "gumbo" flavor that I am use to. Maybe it is the lack of meat. I also thought it could use a little bit more seasoning, the flavor seemed a little bland. But that could be because of the slow cooker. I did like this as a nice vegetable soup. It was really simple, quick and easy. Next time I will cut back on the okra and use 1 cup, since I am not a okra fan.
I will make this again.
Wonderful! I did add meat (chicken) and scallops (the only frozen seafood I had) and it turned out great. Added much more Louisiana Hot Sauce as we like it spicy. Will definitely make again. Thanks! Update - made again, this time used scallops and some leftover venison roast. Delicious, again. Used 1 T Franks hot sauce and more okra, brown rice. Yum!
I used 2 cups of Carrot Ginger soup and 2 cups of chicken stock so it would be a little thicker and it came out really delicious. Will definitely make this again. This was really good.