1/2 Photos of Vegetable Gumbo (Crock Pot)
6 hrs 45 mins
6 hrs 30 mins
Low calorie and filling vegetable soup which makes an easy dinner by itself or with grilled cheese sandwiches. This recipe needs a large (5 quart or larger) slow cooker/crock pot. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt (optional)
- 2 cups okra, sliced (I use frozen)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 -2 dash hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 1In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil for 30 seconds. Add onions and celery, cook stirring until soft (5 minutes).
- 2Stir in garlic, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaf, cook stirring for 1 minute.
- 3Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- 4Transfer to large crock pot insert.
- 5Stir in rice and broth.
- 6Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours or until rice is tender.
- 7Discard bay leaf.
- 8In a small cup mix together the paprika and lemon juice.
- 9Add paprika/lemon juice mixture, okra and green pepper, stirring in well.
- 10Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes or until pepper is tender.
- 11Add a dash or two of hot pepper sauce if desired.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Gumbo (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.6
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 46.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: