Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Veggie gumbo from the Grace Lutheran Church Cookbook I bought at a garage sale. The book doesnt say where Grace Lutheran is, but I thought it sounded great.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb okra, sliced,fresh,frozen
- 1 lb tomatoes, fresh,or canned
- 2 cups corn, fresh,frozen,canned
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 cup white grape juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil or 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- Method: In a large heavy stew pot, place bouillon and white grape juice, onion, green pepper, celery garlic, cook until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Add other ingredients, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking to bottom.
- Cover and simmer gently until corn and okra are done.
- (or simmer in crockpot 6-7 hours) If you use dried herbs, rub them with the palms of your hands before adding to the pot, this releases their mojo.
not absolutely fabulous, but I do believe I will be making it again. The flavors were mild, but tasty. I added cauliflower and kale to the dish and I also used both basil and rosemary. I doubled the tabasco sause as well. The simmer time is somewhat up to your own taste, but I simmered it for about half an hour to an hour and it came out just right for my family. NOTE: I realized after I finished making it, that since you use water AND bouillon, you could simply use broth.
This was a great meal. I used frozen corn and wish I had used fresh as the rest of the vegetables were fresh. The blend of the vegetables, herbs and grape juice was really good. I will be using this recipe often.
Yum! Lots of flavor! I halved the recipe, but wish I hadn't. I didn't have grape juice on hand, but had just canned some kudzu blossom syrup and it's suppossed to taste like grape juice, so used that. I used both fresh basil and rosemary, omitting the parsley(didn't have). Delicious! I served it over short grain brown rice, for a healthy meal!