Recipe by Yobittles
Vegetarian stew inspired by the famous southern dish. Not particularly authentic, but delicious nonetheless. Wonderful to use up tons of fresh veggies--a real comfort food. Use any combination of veggies you like, below is only my preference. I would imagine bell peppers would be good, I just don't like them and have left them out. You could also add beans or even red lentils if you feel you need the protein. This is not spicy at all, so if you are into spicy, add some cayenne pepper, chili flakes, or diced jalapenos.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 20 baby carrots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (from a box)
- 1 (355 ml) can V8 vegetable juice
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes or 0.5 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup okra, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green beans
- 1⁄2 medium zucchini or 1⁄2 medium summer squash, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- hot sauce, like Tabasco to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups long grain rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for another few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except rice.
- Stir well and simmer over low heat for 30-60 minutes, or until all the vegetables are very soft.
- Serve in a bowl ladled over the rice, making it as thick or as soupy as you like.