Recipe by channaxo
You'll LOVE this recipe; it's delicious, full of flavor, and melts in your mouth! Enjoy--
Top Review by Lori Mama
The aroma while this was cooking was next to maddening. So good. Instead of the onion wedges, I used pearl onions and I added parsnips along with the carrots. My husband loves parsnips. I also just threw in the baby potatoes whole. :)
- 1587.57 g beef roast (chuck, round, or shoulder)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml dried basil, crushed
- 118.29 ml beef stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 907.18 g baby potatoes, half peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, wedges
- 59.14 ml flour
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 4.92-9.85 ml salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees. (or medium high heat stove).
- Trim fat from meat and sprinkle basil, sugar, salt, and pepper on roast.
- Brown all sides in olive oil in a 4-6 quart dutch oven.
- Add garlic and onions to bottom of pan.
- Mix beef stock, red wine, Worcestershire and pour over roast.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and let simmer.
- Bake covered for 3 ½ hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Place roast on top of vegetables.
- Return to boil, reduce heat and let simmer.
- Bake covered another 30 minutes or more until tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to platter, reserve juices.
- Gravy: combine ½ cup water and flour into pot roast juices on medium heat until thickened, season to taste and serve over roast and vegetables.