Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
You'll LOVE this recipe; it's delicious, full of flavor, and melts in your mouth! Enjoy--
- 1587.57 g beef roast (chuck, round, or shoulder)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml dried basil, crushed
- 118.29 ml beef stock
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 907.18 g baby potatoes, half peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, wedges
- 59.14 ml flour
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 4.92-9.85 ml salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees. (or medium high heat stove).
- Trim fat from meat and sprinkle basil, sugar, salt, and pepper on roast.
- Brown all sides in olive oil in a 4-6 quart dutch oven.
- Add garlic and onions to bottom of pan.
- Mix beef stock, red wine, Worcestershire and pour over roast.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and let simmer.
- Bake covered for 3 ½ hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Place roast on top of vegetables.
- Return to boil, reduce heat and let simmer.
- Bake covered another 30 minutes or more until tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to platter, reserve juices.
- Gravy: combine ½ cup water and flour into pot roast juices on medium heat until thickened, season to taste and serve over roast and vegetables.
The aroma while this was cooking was next to maddening. So good. Instead of the onion wedges, I used pearl onions and I added parsnips along with the carrots. My husband loves parsnips. I also just threw in the baby potatoes whole. :)