Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb parsnip, slicked 1/8 inch thick
- 1 lb sweet potato, slicked 1/8 inch thick
- 1 lb celery root, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 3 quart baking dish.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute Add cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg and heat just until bubbles form around edges of pan, 5 minute Remove from heat and let stand 10 minute.
- Arrange (slightly overlapping) a layer of parsnips in dish. Top with layer of sweet potatoes, then celery root. Pour half of sauce over vegetables and sprinkle half the cheese and herbs.
- Repeat layering.
- Cover with foil, bake for 1 hour on baking sheet.
- Remove foil and press gratin down with spatula.
- Bake until veggies are tender and top is golden brown, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.