Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A great dish for picnics or pot-lucks--especially in the summer when fresh garden vegetables are so abundant. No dairy products, so there's no risk of spoiling after being out on a buffet table for a long time. Just lots of healthy fresh vegetables and the universal appeal of gelatin, for kids and adults alike. I prefer using lemon Jell-O, but I have used lime a lot as well (which is what I used the last time I made this, and remembered to snap a photo). But I've also seen versions of this salad at various pot-luck gatherings that used clear, unflavored gelatin as well. Lots of choices!
- 6 ounces lemon gelatin or 6 ounces lime gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup radish, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 pinch salt (or more or less, to taste)
- Place gelatin crystals in a large bowl. Add 2 cups of boiling water, and stir 2 minutes or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add 2 cups cold water, and stir well. Let cool about 15 minutes, then chill in refrigerator for 1½ hours.
- Remove gelatin from the refrigerator. Add the chopped nuts, chopped radishes, chopped green onion, chopped celery, chopped cucumbers, vinegar, and desired amount of salt (for seasoning). Stir well.
- Return the gelatin salad to the refrigerator to set completely, at least 2 to 4 hours (or overnight is ideal).
- NOTE - Cooking time is primarily the necessary chilling time that it takes for the gelatin to set completely.
- TIP - you can adjust the ingredients if you wish, using your favorite vegatables. And you can even add fruit if you wish. Just DO NOT include fresh pineapple, kiwi, papaya, figs, or guava (as the gelatin will not set).
Maybe it's just the way I was raised (oh, so long ago) but I do love Jell-O, & this great salad is no exception ~ It's great! Made it as given, although another time I might throw in some peas! Nice; cool; refreshing; great! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for tagging in PRMR during the recent Tic-Tac-Toe event]