1/4 Photos of Vegetable Fritters With Corn Salsa (Can Be Gluten-Free)
An easy zucchini, carrot and onion vegetarian pancake style of fritter, served with some bottled tomato based salsa, a vege salsa and a dob of sour cream. These fritters make a great vegetarian lunch or dinner and make for a good budget stretcher too. Seems like a lot of ingredients, but you can prepare the salad ingredients while you are chopping the vege for the fritters. This recipe was created for Dining on A $ Competition 2011- using competition ingredients of zucchini, purple onion, cumin, egg and bottled salsa. THis recipe can be made gluten-free by using a blended gluten-free all-purpose flour and gluten-free baking powder (My photos posted to this recipe were gluten-free fritters)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup zucchini, grated (about 1 medium sized zucchini)
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated (about 1 medium sized carrot)
- 1/2 cup corn kernel (drained canned corn kernels .or defrosted from frozen corn kernels)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup purple onion, finely diced (about one small or 1/2 larger sized onion)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used a store bought flour to make these fritters) or 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used a store bought flour to make these fritters)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if required for a gf diet)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- oil, extra for cooking
- 1/2 cup corn kernel (canned or defrosted from frozen corn kernels)
- 1/4 cup purple onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1Add the grated zucchini, carrots, 1/2 cup corn kernels, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 2Add the 1/2 cup chopped purple onions to a small frypan or skillet along with the 2 teaspoons of oil and one to two teaspoons of ground cumin. Stir over a medium heat until the onions have softened.
- 3Add the onions to the veges in the mixing bowl and stir to mix thoroughly.
- 4Using a smaller bowl- add the flour and the baking powder - aerate and mix using a whisk.
- 5Stir the flour into the vegetable mixture.
- 6Add two eggs and the milk to your now empty mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- 7Add the eggs to the vegetable mixture and mix thoroughly (If the mixture is too thick- add in some extra milk or if too thin-add in some extra flour. The consistency of fritters can vary a little just depending on the moisture content of the ingredients used).
- 8Heat a large pan and add some extra oil for pan-frying the fritters. A medium high heat should be used.
- 9Drop large spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot pan. Cook fritters a few minutes each side, until nicely golden and cooked through. You may need to cook in batches- place cooked fritters into a warmed oven, cover with foil.
- 10While cooking the fritters you can put the salsa together- combine all salsa ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11To serve- place two or three fritters into the centre of each plate, Spoon on some bottled salsa, top with your fresh salsa and a dob of sour cream.
Browse Our Top Healthy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Fritters With Corn Salsa (Can Be Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.6
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 116.4 mg
- Sodium 1050.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 14.9 g