Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Another recipe by Brenda Walsh from her cooking demonstration "A little taste of Asia." This fried rice is made vegan (no egg) so it's healthier with zero cholesterol. Watch vegetables carefully as you don’t want to overcook them. Try adding other vegetables, such as red bell pepper, zucchini, turnips or eggplant. If you like a little spice, add 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper. Mmm Mmm good! Cooking time doesn't include cooking the brown rice. I usually cook my brown rice in a rice cooker and it takes about 20minutes.
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup snow peas
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon vegan chicken seasoning (I use Mckay's Chicken-Style Seasoning)
- soy sauce, to taste (or Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- Heat oil in a wok or skillet, and sauté onion until clear and tender. Add cashews, carrots, broccoli, peas and corn. When carrots are almost tender, add snow peas, cooked rice and seasonings.
- Pour into platter and serve hot.
My husband is really picky about food, but he like this rice. That is 5 stars for it.
This recipe made a wonderful supper for us last night. I did not have any brown rice on hand so used white. I used 1 TBS sesame seed oil and then later in the recipe added a touch of vegetable broth when the vegetables began to stick to the pan. I used sugar snap peas in place of the snow and also added some asparagus, omitting the corn. This is a very simple recipe that can be made quickly, especially if you should happen to have a few cups of leftover rice in your frige. Next time I make this, I will not add the entire 4 cups of rice, as I think the entire amount stretches this recipe too far. Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely make this again!
Great vegan rice. I added a bit more sesame oil and went pretty light on the soy sauce, great taste. Thanks for sharing!