Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I finally figured out how to make fried rice without having it stick to the bottom of the pan! It is really easy to make, easy to double, to adjust to your personal taste and it can be made ahead of time. You can also stir in another protein (i.e. tofu or chicken) in the end to make it a whole meal! It is a kids favorite and goes great with almost any meal!
- 236.59 ml jasmine rice, uncooked
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (or 1 tsp of garlic powder)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 29.58-44.37 ml vegetable oil (enough to saute the onion or garlic and then to coat the rice)
- 0.25 ml sesame chili oil
- 473.18 ml water
- 236.59 ml frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 eggs, scrambled and chopped (no other ingredient in the scrambled eggs)
- salt & pepper
- 9.85 ml soy sauce (optional)
- In a high sided skillet (that has a cover) over medium high heat, heat vegetable oil and sesame chili oil. Saute the onion and garlic, and rice until the rice is solid white or lightly browned.
- Immediately pour the water into the skillet and bring to a boil then lower it to a simmer on low heat.
- Cover & cook on low (simmer) until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. DO NOT STIR while rice is cooking. About 20-25 minutes.
- After rice is done. Carefully stir the frozen mixed vegetables and let sit on low heat for another 5 minutes. The gently stir in the scrambled eggs.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in soy sauce (optional) for asian flair!
- NOTE - if using fresh vegetables, stir them in before you turn the water down to a simmer and let them cook with the rice.
The first time we tried this, it didn't work out. The rice didn't get tender. The next time, we made the rice in the rice cooker then added a little sauteed time and it came out perfect. We used mixed veggies from the freezer. Very versatile recipe. Can do just about anything to it.
This is a versatile recipe, you can use whatever you have on hand. Made a nice rice dish for dinner.
This was good. I used a mish-mash of vegetables that were in the fridge (broccoli, yellow squash, carrot) and omit the egg b/c we were out. I served this with Ginger-Lime chicken. DD couldn't stop eating it! :)