1 hr 20 mins
Garlic bread crumbs with a hint of Parmesan cheese adorn layers of crisp thin filo dough wrapped around savory vegetables into a long roll. When you slice the roll, the showy spiral-patterned servings look like the masterful work of a virtuoso. Take your bows and don't let on that it really wasn't a bit difficult. From Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup peeled and julienned carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup julienned yellow squash or 1 cup zucchini
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 7 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (1 tsp. dried)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a covered nonstick saucepan prepared with cooking spray or 2 tsp.
- 2of oil, saute the onions on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the carrots, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Stir in the bell peppers and squash or zucchini, cover, and continue to cook for another minute.
- 5Add the mushrooms, tarragon, and basil and cook until the mushrooms release their juices and become tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6Drain the vegetables and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Combine the seasoned bread crumb ingredients in a bowl.
- 8Melt togerher the oil and butter on very low heat.
- 9Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray or a light coating of oil.
- 10Preheat the oven to 350*.
- 11Place the bread crumbs and melted butter-oil mixture near the baking sheet and have a pastry brush or small clean paintbrush handy.
- 12Work quickly in a draft-free setting because the unoiled filo becomes brittle once exposed to the air.
- 13Unfold the stack of filo sheets next to the baking sheet.
- 14To assemble the roll, take 3 sheets of filo from the stack and, in one smooth motion, lift all 3 together and lay the stack, unwrinkled, on the baking sheeet.
- 15Lightly brush the top sheet with the melted butter-oil mixture.
- 16Sprinkle about 1/4 of the seasoned bread crumbs over the filo sheet.
- 17Repeat the layers: 3 sheets of filo, melted butter mixture, bread crumbs, until the filo and bread crumbs are completely used.
- 18Spread the vegetables evenly on the filo to within an inch of all four edges.
- 19Starting at one of the long sides, roll up the filo like a jelly roll, place the finished roll, seam side down, on the baking tray, and tuck in the ends.
- 20Brush with the remaining butter mixture and sprinkle with fennel, poppy, or sesame seeds.
- 21Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden and puffed.
- 22Serve hot or warm.
- 23This would be wonderful served with a good tomato or squash soup, steamed artichokes or asparagus, and a dark chocolate pudding or lemon pudding cake for dessert.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Filo Roll Extravaganza
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.1
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.9 mg
- Sodium 317.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g