Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Use fresh tomato sauce
- 8 ounces zucchini, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 18 large shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh tomato sauce (Quick Chunky Tomato Sauce)
- Toss the zucchini with salt; transfer to a colander set over a bowl.
- Place a saucer on top of the zucchini and weight with something heavy; let stand 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water; drain and squeeze dry; blot with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Cook pasta shells in lots of boiling salted water until barely cooked, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cool water; let stand until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a skillet; add in zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, carrot, and scallions; saute until veggies are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- In a big bowl, combine the ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, egg, basil, and parmesan cheese; add in the vegetables; stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly butter a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Drain the shells; carefully invert on paper towels to blot dry.
- Fill shells with the stuffing mixture, distributing evenly.
- Arrange shells in prepared dish; cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle each shell with some of the remaining mozzarella; bake uncovered, 15 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Serve the stuffed shells with some of the tomato sauce spooned over each serving.