1 hr 30 mins
This recipe comes from an Argentinian grocery store booklet. As an Argentinian myself, I have never try empanadas with dipping sauce, but several times when I bake empanadas, my american friends coment that they would probably be really good with a dipping sauce. That is why when I saw this recipe I decided to post it. I have not try it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 4 ounces butternut squash, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 3 puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon dry basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion in olive oil.
- 3When translucent add potato, carrot, and squash. Mix well and add vegetable broth.
- 4Cook for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and broth evaporated.
- 5Add peas and parley and let it cool down.
- 6While vegetable filling is cooling down, cut each puff pastry sheet into four 5”circles.
- 7Add 1 Tbs of filling in the center of every circle.
- 8Brush the edge of each ½ circle with a little water, fold in half and seal pressing with a fork.
- 9Place on a non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until they are puffy and golden.
- 10Meanwhile make tomato sauce by sautéing, over medium heat, onion and garlic with the olive oil. After 5 minutes add tomatoes, wine and broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 11Move off the heat and let it cool down a little. Pour carefully in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 12Pour onto a sauté pan, add tomato paste, basil and oregano and stir over medium heat until hot.
- 13Serve the empanadas with tomato sauce as a dip.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Empanadas With Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1244.8
- Calories from Fat 736
- Total Fat 81.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 560.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: