Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Honolulu star. A fantastic vegetarian dim sum which is low fat. We can't find won ton wrappers near us so we used Squares of filo pastry which works excellently (but alters the fat content)
- 2 cups minced shiitake mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced fresh spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 60 wonton wrappers, for steaming
- 4 leaves lettuce or 4 leaves kale or 4 leaves spinach
- Combine mushrooms, onion, spinach, garlic, ginger root, curry powder, sherry, egg whites, soy sauce and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place a tablespoon of the mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper.
- Raise the corners and pinch them together, leaving a small opening for steam to escape.
- Line the bottom of a steamer basket with lettuce, kale or spinach leaves.
- Place a layer of dumplings in the steamer, and steam until dumplings are done, about 10 minutes.