Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
Pizza, Any Way You Slice It.
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1 (10 ounce) package mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- pizza dough (for one 9-inch deep-dish pizza)
- 4 ounces sliced asiago cheese or 4 ounces provolone cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce (homemade or commercial)
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Wash the spinach well and discard tough stems; place wet spinach in a big pot; cover and bring to a simmer; cook until spinach is wilted and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place cooked spinach in a strainer and press it with a wooden spoon to remove as much of the juice as possible; chop spinach on a board.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth, then slice.
- In a big skillet, cook mushrooms in oil over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add in garlic; cook 2 minutes; stir in the spinach and salt/pepper to taste; mix well and remove from heat; let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°; oil a 9 x 1 ½ inch layer cake pan or deep-dish pie pan.
- With rolling pin, roll out dough to a 13 inch circle; arrange the dough in the prepared pan, patting it up the sides.
- Place the slices of asiago in the bottom of the pan; spread a layer of vegetables over the cheese; make a layer of sauce.
- Arrange the mozzarella slices on top; sprinkle with pecorino.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until the crust is crisp and the filling is bubbling; sprinkle with basil and serve.