From: “The Africa News Cookbook, African Cooking for Western Kitchens”.
Make and share this Vegetable Curry (Kenya) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 4.92 ml mustard seeds (the black kind, if possible)
- 8 medium potatoes, quartered
- 7.39 ml fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced and crushed
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 14.79 ml whole coriander seed, crushed
- 2 chili peppers (I will used a lesser amount of crushed red pepper flakes.) or 4.92 ml cayenne pepper (I will used a lesser amount of crushed red pepper flakes.)
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 113.39 g tomato paste
- 226.79 g fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into chunks
- 226.79 g green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 226.79 g leafy greens, chopped (small bunch, fresh or frozen, kale, spinach, collards, swiss chard, etc.)
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large, heavy skillet or pot, brown onions in moderately hot oil along with the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Add the potato pieces and stir to coat each piece with spices.
- Add remaining spices and continue to stir for several minutes.
- Thin the tomato paste with 2/3 cup of water and stir into the pot.
- Add vegetables, one at a time, cooking for a minute or so between each addition, add chickpeas last.
- If your pot isn’t oven proof transfer mixture to one that is and cover with a lid or seal with foil, and bake for about 45 minutes, checking after the first 20 minutes.
- The consistency of this curry should be thick, rather than watery, but add more liquid if needed to prevent burning. Stir occasionally to keep ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve over rice or with Indian bread.
Wonderful recipe, full of flavour and healthy too! My favourite vegetarian curry and I have tried a fair few. I will definately be making this again.
I love this recipe so much. I'm a big fan of vegetables, so making them into a hearty, flavorful, healthy, filling dinner is always a five star recipe in my book. I served mine over brown rice, and it tasted, and made me feel, so good.
This is a very nutritious and yummy curry. Not very spicy which was good for my friend that was eating with the family today, but maybe next time I'll add a little more cayenne to spice it up for myself. ;) Enjoyed this with couscous. This was such a healthy, delicious meal. Thank you! Made for ZWT4 - Go Jefes!