1/1 Photo of Vegetable Curry (Kenya)
From: “The Africa News Cookbook, African Cooking for Western Kitchens”.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 4.92 ml mustard seeds (the black kind, if possible)
- 8 medium potatoes, quartered
- 7.39 ml fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced and crushed
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 14.79 ml whole coriander seed, crushed
- 2 chili peppers (I will used a lesser amount of crushed red pepper flakes.) or 4.92 ml cayenne pepper (I will used a lesser amount of crushed red pepper flakes.)
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 113.39 g tomato paste
- 226.79 g fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into chunks
- 226.79 g green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 226.79 g leafy greens, chopped (small bunch, fresh or frozen, kale, spinach, collards, swiss chard, etc.)
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large, heavy skillet or pot, brown onions in moderately hot oil along with the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- 3Add the potato pieces and stir to coat each piece with spices.
- 4Add remaining spices and continue to stir for several minutes.
- 5Thin the tomato paste with 2/3 cup of water and stir into the pot.
- 6Add vegetables, one at a time, cooking for a minute or so between each addition, add chickpeas last.
- 7If your pot isn’t oven proof transfer mixture to one that is and cover with a lid or seal with foil, and bake for about 45 minutes, checking after the first 20 minutes.
- 8The consistency of this curry should be thick, rather than watery, but add more liquid if needed to prevent burning. Stir occasionally to keep ingredients from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- 9Serve over rice or with Indian bread.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Curry (Kenya)
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.6
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 589.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: