Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Southern Living. Pull up a stool and get ready for lots of stirring.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
A very nice curry. Must admit that I cheated and added a bag (11/2lb) of frozen vegetables instead of cutting and slicing. The vegetables were: mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, green beans, bell peppers. I did add the fresh onion. It seemed (as the previous reviewer also mentioned) a bit watery but when mixed with rice it was OK. The only thing I would alter is to add just a little less cayenne pepper and maybe add a garlic or two. Thanks for posting.
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- 3 carrots
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lb small fresh green beans
- hot cooked rice (basmati)
- roasted peanuts (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water to cover for 3 minutes (or you can steam in vegetable steamer until crisp-tender); drain and set aside.
- Cut the bell peppers into thin strips; slice the carrots into thin slices.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add in onion; stir/saute until tender.
- Stin in flour and the next 3 ingredients.
- Cook and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in broccoli, bell peppers, carrot, coconut milk, and green beans; cook and stir constantly for 3-5 minutes or just until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve over rice; garnish with peanuts.