Is there a better summer dish than couscous? Fast, easy and barely any cooking; this couscous salad has fresh summer vegetables all mixed together with a light lemon juice and oregano dressing. One of my favorite couscous preparations.
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup couscous
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 green onions, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cucumber, seeded and diced (I like to leave them unpeeled)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 4 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (taste first, Parmesan is pretty salty)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan; add couscous, remove from heat, cover and let stand for about 5 minutes, until couscous has absorbed broth.
- Let cool, then place in a bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Add tomato, green onions, cucumber, parsley and Parmesan cheese to the couscous.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and peppers.
- Pour over the salad, mixing well.
- Refrigerate salad for at least 2 hours; bring to room temperature to eat.
Absolutely delicious, and just the perfect meal for a warm summer evening. The cayenne makes this a bit spicy, which we enjoyed. It's going to be one of our favorites!