Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Great healthy meal with crisp white wine. I left out the decorative elements to this dish (the artichokes, bell pepper rings and lemon wedges) due to lack of ingredients, but I'm sure they would only add to the yummy saffron flavor of this dish.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil (I used a little more)
- 2 cups chopped onions (I used a lot more)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (I used a lot more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups canned vegetable broth (I used low sodium chicken broth, about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 large plum tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup drained canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas, I used more)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed saffron thread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 6 canned artichoke hearts, quartered (I omitted this)
- sliced red bell pepper rings (I omitted this)
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges (I omitted this)
- chopped fresh parsley (I used fresh cilantro)
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and chopped bell peppers; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and paprika and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients.
- Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix couscous into vegetable mixture.
- Cover and simmer 1 minute.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Let stand covered 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork. Let paella stand covered 5 minutes longer; fluff with fork again. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl.
- Arrange artichoke hearts, red bell pepper rings and lemon wedges atop paella. Sprinkle parsley over and serve.
- Serves 6.
This was easy to make and delicious, I used coriander as well, and I don't think the lemon is necessarily decorative -a squeeze of fresh lemon gave it a bit of zing. The family loved it and it was full of healthy vegetables. Thanks