Recipe by BarbryT
I consider this the world's best coleslaw. This is from the first Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. It allegedly serves 8-10 but I find that half the recipe serves that many. It is wonderful as soon as made and better after the flavors have melded. Cooking time is chilling time.
Top Review by Blue Plate Special
Was looking for a recipe that used red cabbage, but was a bit disappointed with the flavors in this one. Did not have celery salt, but added ground celery seed. More mayo than necessary.
- 1 lb white cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 3⁄4 lb red cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 5 carrots
- 2 cups mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman's with a squeeze of lemon)
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon celery salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the cabbages.
- Grate the carrots.
- Combine cabbages and carrots.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, and celery salt, celery seeds, salt and pepper.
- Pour enough of the dressing over the vegetables to moisten them.
- Chill. Serve cold or at room temperature.