Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I consider this the world's best coleslaw. This is from the first Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. It allegedly serves 8-10 but I find that half the recipe serves that many. It is wonderful as soon as made and better after the flavors have melded. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 lb white cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 3⁄4 lb red cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 5 carrots
- 2 cups mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman's with a squeeze of lemon)
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon celery salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Shred the cabbages.
- Grate the carrots.
- Combine cabbages and carrots.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, and celery salt, celery seeds, salt and pepper.
- Pour enough of the dressing over the vegetables to moisten them.
- Chill. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Was looking for a recipe that used red cabbage, but was a bit disappointed with the flavors in this one. Did not have celery salt, but added ground celery seed. More mayo than necessary.
Very good flavors. I used only half the amount of dressing in proportion to the cabbage as called for, and just about half the sugar, and less carrot, because I prefer slaw more crunchy than creamy, and not much sweet. Really pretty on a plate.
I had the ingredients for the dressing when I discovered my friend had already made coleslaw for the BBQ, so I made it as a potato salad and it was divine! DD can't stop eating it. I can't wait to try it with the cabbages etc.