1/1 Photo of Vegetable Chili
1 hr 10 mins
elisabeth the only one's Note:
This is a hearty and flavorful soup that is good on its own or spooned over cooked rice or baked potatoes for a more substantial meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled if you wish, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, finely chopped, crushed
- 2 (14 ounce) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 14 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1Brush the eggplant slices on 1 side with olive oil. Heat half the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant slices, oiled side up, and cook for 5-6 minutes until browned on 1 side. Turn the slices over, cook on the other side until browned and then transfer to a plate. Cut the slices into bite size pieces.
- 2Heat the remaining oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes uintil the onion is just softened, but not browned. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until the onion just beginning to color.
- 3Add the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer gently for 1 minutes.
- 4Add the zucchini, eggplant pieces, and kidney beans. Stir in the water and tomato paste. Bring back to a boil, cover, and continue something for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Take and adjust the seasoning if necessary, if you prefer a hotter dish, stir in a little more chili powder.
- 5Ladle into warmed bowls and top with scallions and cheese.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Chili
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.4
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 23.7 mg
- Sodium 438.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 14.3 g