Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is like a hearty vegetable soup. Original recipe says in twenty five minutes, I go for the 45 minutes. Serve with garnishes, sour cream, cheddar, and fresh plum tomatoes on top. Expect to have enough for two or even three servings per person, it's that tasty. Items are always in the pantry in this one!!!
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 (19 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby sweet corn cobs
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 cup fresh cleaned snow peas or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans
- sour cream
- grated cheddar cheese
- fresh diced plum tomato
- jalepeno diced bell pepper
- In a fry pan place butter and pan fry just until softened the red, green peppers, and the celery.
- Toss in the snow peas, and stir well.
- Set this mixture aside, until the very end.
- In a large soup pot simmer the diced onion in 1 tablespoon oil or chicken broth.
- Add the can of tomatoes.
- Add the spices and broth.
- Simmer this base for 45 minutes or longer if desired.
- Add canned vegetables.
- Simmer until warmed through.
- Add the sautéed peppers and celery and snow peas.
- Simmer again till warmed through.
- When hot, serve in individual bowls. Let each person use the garnishes to their preferences.
- Serve with hot toasted garlic bread.
- Thanks Andy.
Loved this delicious and hearty soup! Soup lovers that we are, it made for a wonderful lunch. I thought 45 minutes cooking time about right too. The boys loved the baby corn cobs - will be keeping extra cans on hand. Other then not having the snow peas, made as posted and we too loved this veggie combination and spice combo! Thank you for another of your delicious recipes!
My family had this for lunch today, and what can I say; AWESOME!! This is a nice chunky thick soup, with a wonderful veggie combination. Even my 5 year old liked it, his favourite was the tiny cobs of corn. And adding the grated cheddar cheese and sour cream on top was a great idea, and a wonderful way to dress up veggie soup... This is going to be a regular meal in our house!
There's a lot of flavor in this quickly and easily made recipe. We both loved it. I had a busy day and this was the perfect supper. Thanks, andypandy.