Recipe by Stardustannie
A delicious find! A hearty vegetarian dish...serve as a main or along side a grilled chicken breast or steak for the meat loving man/lady in your life. :)
Top Review by Enjolinfam
My family really enjoyed this. :) Very well balanced meal and it was easy to put together. I didn't drain the chickpeas to add a little liquid to the cooking, and I added a little cayenne pepper. Tasted great over brown rice. Thanks!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 carrot, chopped into small dice
- 1 zucchini, chopped into small dice
- 1 small red capsicum, seeds removed, chopped
- 400 g chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 400 g red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- brown rice, to serve
- natural yoghurt or light sour cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery, stirring, for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the spices and stir for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then add the tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the zucchini, capsicum, chickpeas, kidney beans, tomatoes and 2/3 cup (165mL) water, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then scatter with coriander leaves (optional).
- Serve with rice and yoghurt or sour cream.